I tend to accumulate dressmaking fabrics, forever hoping that I’ll make clothes out of them but there’s never enough time and there are always other things to do. I’m off work for a few days so I finally got a chance to lift the sewing machine cover and make this dress:
I downloaded the pattern as clothes making time this week doesn’t quite stretch to pattern making + toiling. The fabric is a very lightweight cotton and silk mix, came from a fab little fabric shop in South London and is apparently an old Prada print, it only cost around £20, can’t remember exactly as I bought it last year. It’s so lightweight that I managed to rip the back piece while stretching a seam a little but I patched it up so that it can’t be seen. The pattern came from Burda Style, I made the hem and the sleeve shorter and changed the neckline a little. Very simple to make – the waist is elasticated and so are the sleeves. Wore it today to a meeting, felt very light and floaty, am very happy with it.
… as a textile designer, I’d work on these photos some more and make some really fabulous printed silk. Then I’d make a dress or two. The pics came from looking out the window on the ginger line earlier today.
Actually, thinking about it, these would work better for skirts maybe. Took loads more but unfortunately you could see the reflection of my mac throughout. Oh well
Self portrait created using Lost in lace app combined with other photo apps that make a regular appearance on this blog. This is fabulous, quick and easy to do. Limited, I admit but fabulous. Lot of fun too.
Sometimes my vintage dress pattern purchases from ebay are a bit questionable. I’ve built a nice little collection of them but some I am not sure that I’ll ever make. I wasn’t too sure about this late fifties (I think but could easily be wrong) shift dress with a fitted midriff but then I thought below the knee length is quite big for winter and then I had this very soft charcoal wool with a bit of stretch that I thought could work. Anyway, for the past two weeks I’ve been working on the dress – again decided to make entirely by hand, otherwise would have been done in a day or two and, I finished it this afternoon. Here is the result:
Gathered front panel, fitted waist, pleated skirt (darts in the back) and a pocket on the right hand side too! Totally impressed with that. Also rather like the photograph – turned black and white and then applied lomo.
Side and back views.
Side front closer up.
The pattern also featured a cummerbund and a detachable collar. I originally really liked the idea of a cummerbund but now quite like the austerity of the dress so not sure if I’ll make one – should be in a different fabric anyway. Collar idea I really like. Beaded or sequinned so shall have a rummage through ‘crafty cupboard as am sure there are beads and sequins about.
The Guardian’s measure this weekend had a rather good idea of wearing below the knee skirts/ dresses with bare legs and ankle boots – it actually worked quite well when I tried it on. Beloved thinks it’s quite sophisticated, don’t you know.
So I was at this self-styled fancy country hotel (of which more later) yesterday for a wedding. I was hoping I’d get an opportunity to wander about and take some pictures and I got lucky. While the official photographer went around taking official pictures, I spotted some nice trees and tree trunks. Unfortunately I was in heels so couldn’t venture too far. Only managed to get close to a couple of tree trunks:
I don’t do stylised effects on other photos but they work quite well on tree trunks. Am building a nice collection of these, maybe some day, if I have time and if printing on silk doesn’t cost a fortune, I should get some fabric made. Not just for scarfs, dresses too and other marvellous things.
An outfit (well most of the outfit) post – had a wedding to go to yesterday, this is what I wore. It’s a dress I made last year, using another vintage ebay pattern. I made a lot of it by hand while watching bad TV. Fabric came from favourite fabric shop in South London – I think they must have only just had that fabric in so I got very lucky. The white of the petals was added on later so you can feel the paint – someone who knows told me that means whoever produced the fabric didn’t do discharge – in any case, they ended up with a simply marvellous printed silk. Can’t believe it’s only the second time I wore this dress too, must give it some more outings.
In other news, am still working on the charcoal wool fitted shift, it’s nearly finished but must go out now before the shops close and get a zip – have loads of zips at home but none are long enough. With a bit of luck, will finish the dress by end of weekend.